Thursday, October 22, 2015

Scarves and Smooth Operators

Scarves and Salad Bowls


When I arrived at the business district Olive Garden for lunch. The hostess boss sent one group away with one host to be seated, then after I told her we'd be two, she said, "Ok, just wait one moment." I thought it was to check and make sure of where I was going to sit. It was not. She waited until one of her cronies came back, and made them show me to my table, instead of just doing it herself. Now, maybe that's policy, never leaving the podium unattended, but then I still think she should have shown me to my table and let the returning crony watch over the podium. The way she handled it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know why it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I needed two Olive Garden mints to get it out. 

Ariel and I left work a little earlier than usual, 15 minutes, and it paid off. We were seated in the calm before the storm. 


But we didn't notice much difference in service time. And it filled up pretty quickly as we sat there. 


We got our breadsticks and I took a dirty picture of them (I'll let you decide why I think it's a dirty picture).


Ok, so, forget everything else. Forget about what I ordered (Cavatappi with Asiago Garlic Alfredo and Crispy Chicken Fritta
).
Forget that I ran out of Dr.Pepper (which happens often[read, every time], I think we drink them faster than most people). Forget everything, and focus on this woman I'm going to tell you about.

She was a noopsie. For those of you that watched the pop culture phenomenon, The O.C., you know exactly what I'm talking about. Those of you who did not watch The O.C., spend whatever you must spend to buy the DVD's (probably not worth getting it on blu-ray), and watch it this weekend. 

So, noopsie walks in wearing a scarf. An honest to goodness scarf. And not like the kind you use to stay warm, like the fashion accessory kind.  Yeah, I know the difference. Her, not so posh, friend also was wearing a scarf. So already, my interest is piqued. 

Then, I overhear her tell her server, "just a bowl on the table!" and the server clarified, "Like, no plate, nothing?" "Yes," said the scarf clad noopsie. "somethingmumblesomething it's tacky." 

I wasn't quite sure of what was going on. I didn't catch the whole conversation. Was she complaining about something she'd seen? Did she just want a big bowl of soup without a plate under it? I was confused. But check this chick out:





Do you see that! A. Scarf. B. Girlfriend is just scarfin' down (eh? get it?) straight from the giant salad bowl!

Now that is a noopsie who's charity event I would attend.

Visit 26:
Monetary value: $35.58
Total: $832.91 (4X what we would have paid for Pasta Passes)

The Black and White Pasta

The family that sat behind me at our Leisure World Olive Garden for dinner said a prayer before eating. I should not make fun of people who pray. It's good to pray. I don't usually do it in public, but if they want to, who am I to make fun of them? But then, the girl mentioned the World Series in her prayer. And that, I feel like I can make fun. WHO PRAYS ABOUT THE WORLD SERIES IN PUBLIC? That's all. 

We were served by a smooth operator, who had served us before. "Good to see you again, can I get you some Dr.Peppers?" Ariel decided to get the limeade instead, she thinks the Dr.Pepper is what kept her up last night, and she's asleeping as I type this, so it must be so. I asked if she wanted any Grenada in her drink. We all paused. Grenadine. "Yes, grenadine," said the smooth operator. And away he floated to get our beverages. Ariel insisted the straw be in the picture, because "It looks so cute next to it." and indeed it does. 


From where we were sitting, I could see into the kitchen. They had nice banners hung from the ceiling that read "Prepare Passionately, Plate Perfectly, Present Promptly" What a weird thing for Olive Garden to waste their money on. Just slap that on some sticky notes and hang it in front of the servers and cooks. I bet it'd be just as effective, if not more so.

Ariel had heard someone order half one sauce and half another, so that's what we tried tonight. I got the Cavatappi with Five Cheese Marinara AND Asiago Garlic Alfredo with Chicken Fritta. It reminded me of the black and white cookie from Seinfeld, the best of both worlds. 


It looked pretty gross. But tasted unsurprisingly delicious. 


Smooth Operator brought back our Pasta Passes and called us by name (our names are printed on our passes). Ariel didn't like that, but she prefered her actual name over him calling her "Miss," which he had been doing all night, and which she didn't like at all. Probably because I locked that down over three and a half years ago.



 Oh, look at us. We're so cute. 

Visit 27:
Monetary value: $32.35
Total: $865.26
Weight Fluctuation today: +2.6 lbs

Total:  +5.4 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment